1. Information Collection
GMG or third parties may collect information from our users at several different points on Kinja.
- Mailing Lists & Service Emails - GMG may offer mailing lists in order to provide subscribers with relevant information or content - breaking news, or weekly or daily round-ups, for example. In order to sign up to receive regular emails from a site’s mailing list, users must submit information including a valid Kinja username and/or email address and may submit demographic information such as location and interests. This information may be used in aggregate form by GMG or its third party service providers in order to assess general user interest in various internal and third party products and services. Your personal and contact information may be passed to GMG’s third party service providers. GMG and its third party service providers may from time to time track how users interact with the emails we send in a continued effort to improve our services. Users who choose to sign up for a mailing list may receive regular emails from the site, consisting of content from the site in question and/or content from third party sponsors and/or advertisers. Since editorial independence is critical to us, you can be sure that we will always mark sponsored content as such, including in emails. If you do not wish to receive emails from third party advertisers, please do not sign up for the mailing list. You may remove yourself from any mailing lists by following the removal instructions contained in the email.
- A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s computer tied to information about the user. We may use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. For the session ID cookie, once the user closes the browser, the cookie simply terminates. A persistent cookie is a small text file stored on the user’s hard drive for an extended period of time. Persistent cookies can be removed by following the user’s internet browser help file directions. We store a cookie on each user’s machine that contains user specific information. You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. If you reject all cookies, you will not be able to use Services that require you to “sign in,” and you may not be able to take full advantage of all offerings. However, not all Services require that you accept cookies. Use of the Services and emails we send may execute code known as a “web beacon.” This code allows us to understand the time and date of when a user has opened an email. Our web beacons do not collect personally identifiable information. Users wishing to disable our web beacons should do so by turning images “off” in their email client (e.g. Gmail, Outlook, Outlook Express). Please see your email client for more information.
- Log Files – Like most standard website servers we use log files to log certain information about how you use Kinja. This information may be stored on third party servers, and may be used by GMG or its third party service providers in order to provide site personalization and assess general user interest in various internal and third party products and services. We do not, however, collect IP addresses or log IP address information.
- We do not respond to web browser “do not track” or other related mechanisms at this time.
- Ad Serving – The ads appearing on these websites are delivered to you by a web advertising vendor and/or by GMG’s own proprietary advertising delivery software. In order to serve ads to you, we may use information collected during your searches or visits to our websites and information that we specifically acquire from third parties.
- Advertising and Cookies – Some of our third party advertising partners may distribute cookies to users in advertisements that are provided to us. GMG has no access to or control over these cookies once we have received the advertisements. Some of these advertisers and services we use to deliver advertising may be engaging in online behavioral advertising as defined by the Digital Advertising Alliance and FTC.
- GMG does not provide any Personally Identifiable Information to third-party advertising companies. Note, however, that if an advertiser asks GMG to show an advertisement to users with certain characteristics (for example, women ages 18-24) or a segment of that group (for example, women ages 18-24 who have viewed certain categories of content) and you respond to that advertisement, the third-party advertising company may conclude that you have the characteristics of the audience that they are trying to reach.
- Opt-out – As part of our commitment to transparency and your privacy, we provide the following links to opt-out of cookies provided by both our first party ad server and many third party advertising partners who may be engaging in online behavioral advertising:
- First Party Opt-out – Please visit this link to opt-out of cookies from our first party ad serving vendor, Google: http://www.google.com/privacy/ads/
- Third Party and Online Behavioral Advertising Opt-out – Please visit this link to opt-out of cookies from over 50+ major third party behavioral advertising providers: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
- DigiTrust – GMG is a partner with DigiTrust, a non profit, industry-wide collaboration of companies building technology solutions that improve the digital experience for consumer, publishers, advertisers and third parties. DigiTrust aims to reduce the number of third-party requests on internet pages by creating an anonymous user token (a first party cookie), which is disseminated by and between its member to collect aggregate web viewing data across non-affiliated websites over time and use such data to tailor interest based advertising to users, instead of users having to encounter millions of different proprietary tokens. You can find out more at http://www.digitru.st/. If you do not wish to participate in DigiTrust’s collection of aggregate viewing data, you may opt out or exercise choices here: http://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2#!/
3. Business Transitions
4. Contests, Sweepstakes, and Promotions
6. Legal Disclaimer
Though we make every effort to preserve user privacy, GMG may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on GMG or affiliates. If we’re going to turn over information related to you, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide you with advance notice, unless we are prohibited from doing so by law or court order.
7. Information Security
GMG has technical, administrative and physical safeguards in place to help protect against unauthorized access to, use or disclosure of user information we maintain. Under our security practices access to personally identifiable information is authorized only for those who have a business need for such access, and sensitive records are to be retained only as long as necessary for business or legal needs and destroyed before disposal. Although we work hard to protect personal information that we collect and store, no program is one hundred percent secure and we cannot guarantee that our safeguards will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use or disclose personal information.
If you become aware of a security issue, please email us at legal [at] gizmodomedia [dot] com. We will work with you to address any problems.
8. Notification of Changes
9. Contact Information
10. Last Update